The Music Box is a compilation of new and old favorites. Rather than try to remain strictly current, the reviews will simply follow my listening pattern... hopefully introducing you to something you've never heard, or re-visit something you've moved past.


Radiohead: The Collection


Music as a hobby can sometimes get exhausting. It takes time and patience and money to seek out old/new artists, intentionally listen to them, figure out if I like them or not, and why that is… The list of ever increasing bands to listen to although it eventually brings me much joy, can often be daunting. This happened with Radiohead. I somehow missed the Radiohead boat in the 90’s and early 2000’s, and waited until about 2009 to drift among their large wakes. All my music savvy friends tried to get me there beforehand, but I didn’t really have the time to listen to all their albums, sift through their weird shit (that I like now) and find the songs that would produce enough emotional attachment to gateway me into an addiction.

So for those of you who find Radiohead’s discography intimidating, allow me to offer some guidance as to where to get started… You’re going to want to break in through their classics… Fake Plastic Trees, Creep, Karma Police, High and Dry, and then Paranoid Android will start getting you a bit deeper… after falling in love with these ones, go ahead and listen to their album In Rainbows from beginning to end, fall asleep to it, drive to it. And then proceed to become obsessed with Kid A, Ok Computer, and The Bends (probably in that order). From there continue through their other albums, and b-side tracks as you like, decide upon your personal favorites, and argue about how they’re the best band in the world at parties. I know this wasn’t much of a review, but the band achieves greatness like no other band in the last few decades… they seamlessly stretch themselves across genres and styles while bearing painful and beautiful truth… it’s undeniable… you’ll be hard-pressed to find a modern artist they haven’t influenced, or inspired. So go ahead, dive in.

No comments:

Post a Comment