The Music Box is a compilation of new and old favorites. Rather than try to remain strictly current, the reviews will simply follow my listening pattern... hopefully introducing you to something you've never heard, or re-visit something you've moved past.


Bon Iver: For Emma, Forever Ago & Blood Bank EP


So I may overdo it every few months: go on a Bon Iver binge, and then have to stay away for a few weeks, because I couldn’t say no to my own repetition addiction, but I always come back, always. Although now accompanied by two other band members, Justin Vernon started Bon Iver (derived from the French term “bon hiver” meaning good winter) and recorded everything for the first album “For Emma, Forever Ago” on his own. His voice may be off-putting the first time it is heard, but once the taste is acquired it's not easily lost. The lyrics are honest and painful, but delivered in a way to purge the pain. The albums were his own brutal self-therapy. His stories are not only told through the acute lyrics but through the layered guitar sequences, carefully chosen hammer-ons, triplets, and repetitive melodic structures. If I were to soundtrack the last year-or-so of my life, Bon Iver would play a huge part.
Listen to: Skinny Love, Blood Bank (But really, just listen to all of them)
http://www.boniver.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment